THE LSBB URL: A UNIQUE PLATFORM FOR FUNDAMENTAL & APPLIED LOW BACKGROUND INTER-DISCIPLINARY UNDERGROUND SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Authors, 1, 2, 3, … (underline the corresponding author)
Affiliation : LSBB, La Grande Combe, F-84000 Rustrel
Abstract (300 words max and PDF)
The LSBB platform is dedicated to fundamental and applied research in a favorable geological environment with low environmental and anthropogenic backgrounds allowing multidisciplinary developments. The exceptional potential of its properties allows interdisciplinary innovations at national, European and international levels. The URL facility enjoys a unique natural environment in the Luberon Regional Natural Park with a low human impact and gives access jointly:
- Within the shallow and deep unsaturated and saturated zones of the Fontaine-de-Vaucluse aquifer, France,
- Within a carbonate platform in Urgonian facies analog to oil fields of the Middle,
- Within the seismogenic area of Provence.
The LSBB’s infrastructure represents in broad strokes, 54 ha in surface area, 4 km long horizontal drifts at a depth ranging from 0 to 518 m, with NS and NNW main orientations. The galleries give notably access to underground vaults and voids, a clean room, and an electro-magnetically shielded space of 1250 m3 with a residual noise of 2 fT/√Hz above 40 Hz. The underground drifts and surface areas are connected to energy, telephony, optical fiber Internet, and GPS synchronization. This unique environment with specific properties allows the emergence of interdisciplinary research programs involving solid earth, atmosphere, astronomy, astrophysics, geology, rock mechanics, radiative environment, physics, engineering, metrology, electronic, contemporary history (i.e. the old war) and life sciences, including:
- Fundamental research
- Applied research and demonstrators of industrial
- Tests and developments of new instruments and metrological
- As a whole the LSBB URL associates geo-environmental issues, tools for academic and industrial research, and an engineer team providing development and adaptation for the optimal integration of experiments within the facility. These assets push the LSBB a worldwide unique interdisciplinary platform, steered by the Universities of Nice and Avignon, and by the CNRS.